I can eat granola for breakfast, lunch and dinner, however, supermarket brands are packed with sugars and preservatives. I make a big batch of this oat and buckwheat granola and keep it in a jar for breakfast. Usually I have the ingredients in as store cupboard staples. It’s a great emergency store of nutritious food for when I haven’t had the time to meal prep the day before. Just pour some into a container and serve with some fresh fruit and preferred milk.
For this oat and buckwheat granola you will need:
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 200g raw buckwheat (make sure they’re the green ones)
- 200g walnuts
- 100g almonds
- 200g pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 apples
- 100g dried blueberries
- 100g coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 170°
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, raw buckwheat, nuts, seeds, cinnamon and salt.
- Peel and core the apples and place in a food processor. Blitz until smooth, scraping the apple down from the sides when necessary.
- Add the apple to the dry ingredients with the maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract and mix well to make sure everything is coated.
- Place on two baking sheets lined with baking paper and spread out so there is only a thin layer of granola mixture on the sheets.
- Bake for 20 mins, then remove from the oven and mix well.
- Return to the oven and cook for another 20 minutes until golden. You may need more or less time depending on your oven. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Allow to cool and mix in the dried blueberries and coconut.
- Store in an air-tight container for up to 4 weeks. (I challenge you to make it last that long!)
For more dining al desko recipes, go here