Banana bread is a great invention. It presents itself as a healthy option and it tastes like cake.
Spicy chocolate banana bread with chia seeds
- 4 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup maple syrup or honey (optional)
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ cups spelt flour
- 4 tbsp raw cacao powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 100g dark chocolate, cut into tiny bits
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Mash 3 of the bananas in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the beaten egg, maple syrup, if using), coconut oil and vanilla and mix well.
- Sift the flour and cacao powder into a separate bowl with the cinnamon, chilli powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and fold in.
- Add the chia seeds and the chopped chocolate bits and mix to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin.
- Cut the remaining banana lengthways down the middle.
- Place the two halves on top of the batter and press down a little.
- Bake in the oven for 55-60 mins until a skewer placed in the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
- Allow to rest for 10 mins then remove from the tin and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an air-tight container until ready to use.