When you’re craving that steak and egg sandwich but summer – and that dreaded first day in swimwear – is just weeks away, this steak and egg salad with salsa verde makes a great substitute. It works well with leftover steak and can be eaten cold.
For the Steak and egg
- 150g steak, cooked to your liking
- 1 egg
- Mixed salad leaves
- 1 carrot
- ¼ cucumber
- handful borage flowers
- Handful parsley
- Handful basil
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 pickled cucumber
- 1 anchovy
- ½ lemon, juice only
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Water, to loosen
- Start by making the salsa verde by blitzing all the ingredients together in a food processor. Add the water at the end, adding just enough to loosen the sauce.
- Boil the egg in water for 5 mins until hard-boiled with a soft yolk.
- Peel, cut in half and set aside.
- Slice the steak into bite-sized chunks and set aside.
- Place the mixed salad leaves in a serving bowl.
- Cut the cucumber into circles and then cut them in half and add to the salad leaves.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel shavings of the carrot and add to the salad.
- Add the chopped meat and the egg.
- Top with borage flowers.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Take the salsa verde in a separate container and spoon on top just before serving.