Oktoberfest 2013 is finally over. The traditional two weeks of beer drinking in celebration of a royal wedding (200 years ago) sees the centre of Munich come alive with the tents of registered Bavarian breweries, fun fairs from days gone by and new toys the brave are willing to play on after a stein or two of beer.
What you need to know before attending the world’s biggest party.
1. The dates for 2014 are 20th September to 5th October
2. Book early! 60,000 people attend and hotel space is limited.
3. Don’t book tables through a tour operator, you need to book with the respective brewery’s tent.
4. Buy or hire a costume. You will look silly if you are not in one.
5. Eat before you go, you will be drinking a lot.
6. If you are looking for love (or a quickie at least) this is a great place to start. For the men, it is easy to spy single girls, they wear their handbag to the RIGHT. Both sexes costumes are designed for easy access.
7. Be prepared to sit with strangers, they won’t be strangers for long.
8. Be in time for your slot; if there is a changeover, it will be swift.
9. You can entertain yourself watching older men trying to pull young girls or on the antique rides.
10. Pack alkaseltzer. The German’s cure for a hangover, is more beer.