For a lot of us, keeping up our hair appointments is a solid part of our beauty routines. There’s nothing like a fresh head of highlights or an all over colour change to help make you feel brand new!
Colour maintenance in general, should always be followed to get the most out of your hair but in summer in Malta, it definitely needs some extra love. The heat, the ac, the sea, the pools can batter any colour and leave your hair frazzled and lacklustre so I’ve put together a few tips that work for me (full head of blonde highlights). Let’s not forget September is fast approaching and if you live in Malta, that’s all I need to say! Humidity is not kind to the majority of us!
- Shampoo and conditioner for your hair type and colour will help keep your colour bright and will not be too harsh resulting in colour fade. My favourite is the blonde absolu range from kerastase
- Anti humidity products are your friend! So treating your hair after a wash will see you through a few good hair days.
- Use a leave in conditioner and sun protection spray when going to the beach or pool to protect against the salt and chlorine as well as being more manageable to brush after a day of splashing.
- Use a mask once a week, again suited to your colour. I love the Aussie range and use the 3 minute miracle
- Brush your hair well before you sleep and either sleep with it loose or in a loose plait to prevent friction
- It’s hard to go too long without washing your hair this time of year especially as the heat makes you want to do it everyday! But over washing is one of the worse things for colour fade so if you can, use a dry shampoo the day after you wash your hair so it really absorbs the extra oils and sweat… even giving your hair some nice texture!
- My last tip is to treat yourself to a professional blow dry and a treatment! Your hair stylist will also be able to recommend the latest and best products for keeping your colour fresh and protecting against the heat. Wishing everyone a frizz free and colourful heat wave period!