While the tit, tat, tit, tat of the rain seems to have become the constant soundtrack to our short-ish winter days, the truth remains that in a couple of weeks’ time we’ll be shedding our winter coats in exasperated weather-induced hot flushes… See, that is part of the problem with living in the Mediterranean: one day you’re freezing and the next – bang! – you’re gasping for air and seeking the shade everywhere you go.
But there is a way of making life easier once the inevitable happens and the chill is replaced with the first bouts of heat… Planning ahead!
So here are the five top trends for this spring, and some advice on how to wear them.
- Artisanal Crafts It’s time to get our nannas’ creations out of storage boxes, people, because crochet and macramé are back in business. Called a ‘resort must-have’ by Style Caster last December, the trend infiltrated virtually every runway in the shape of cardigans, skirts, heels and bucket hats.
- Beige Once as neutral as black, beige is now coming into its own with head-to-toe looks that combine the colour in various shades. Don’t worry if it’s not your cup of tea, though, the colour-of-the-season can be easily matched with pastels or bright colours.
- Neon You can tell we live in uncertain times by the colours that maketh the season… I mean, on the one hand, we have beige and pastels dominating the scene, while on the other, we have neons taking over. Whether its neon green, neon yellow or neon pink, the trend can be easily translated into everyday-wear by keeping it to just accessories. Having said that, a neon coat, dress or pair of trousers would definitely turn more heads.
- Neo-Tailoring Remember Lady Gaga’s meme-worthy Marc Jacobs oversized suit for ELLE’s Women in Hollywood event? Well, you laughed then but she was way ahead of the times. Indeed, this spring, loose-fitting suits or, as they have been dubbed by the industry, ‘neo-tailoring’, is all the rage. So think slouchy and oversized and you’ll be on the right track.
- Leather Not jackets or shoes – although those are still in – but leather (or faux-leather) shirts, trousers, skirts and T-shirts. And, while black and tan are totally acceptable, red, brown and white leather is what will make the fashionistas stand out from the fashion-followers.
Which trend will you be wearing this spring? Let us know in the comments below.