With the Coronavirus pandemic taking over our lives, there’s very little to look forward to other than summer, when this nightmare might hopefully be over. Of course, one of the ways we can prepare for the warmer months is by getting our wardrobe season-ready with one of the biggest trends of the year: the waistcoat!
From Dior to Saint Laurent, the waistcoat has indeed made a huge comeback onto catwalks and street style stars’ wardrobes – the first time this has happened since the mid-2000s when Kate Moss ushered in a whole new waistcoat era with her Topshop campaign.
Just like in the mid-2000s, the secret to acing the waistcoat look is in the styling: the trend dictates that the waistcoat needs to be removed from its original context, that of men’s formalwear, and taken out to the shops, festivals and lunch dates… (Remember those? We miss them already too!)
Here are some of our favourite ways you can style the waistcoat!
- Ditch the shirt or T-shirt and wear it as a top with Daisy Dukes, a maxi skirt or palazzo pants.
- Layer it on top of a T-shirt. Couple with jeans for a more casual look.
- Wear it with a suit – shirt or blouse optional!
- Wear it as part of a three-piece suit – but wear it to somewhere more casual, like a day out in Sliema.
- Layer it on top of a midi dress and couple it with boots or heels.
Need more inspiration? Here are some of the best ways style stars have used a waistcoat to complete their outfits.
Which look is your favourite? Let us know in the comments section!
By Iggy Fenech
Iggy Fenech has been pouring his feelings into articles for local newspapers and magazines for the past nine years. His other passions include watching historical documentaries, cooking and putting together eccentric outfits. When it comes to cocktails, his favourite is always the next one.