A question always asked is why does my makeup get cakey and how can I prevent this…?
There are many reason why this happens with makeup so I’ve listed a few and also some tips to avoid!
Reasons it happens and how to prevent.
- wearing the wrong foundation for skin type – make sure you are wearing the right coverage and texture for your skin type. If you are very oily and wear a dewy foundation it can mix with the natural oils and create a thickening effect. Same as dry skin, if you wear something too matte it can almost crust up… not very nice.
- Not prepping the skin properly – even if you are oily or dry, by prepping the skin properly, it can help a lot with foundation texture… by this I mean if you are dry for example but you would still like a matte finish, making sure you have great hydrating products underneath Will help with the finish.
- Weather – we all now humidity is not our friend when it comes to makeup! In this case I try to avoid too much product, less is more definitely!
- Too much powder/wrong consistency a this is one of the main mistake, sometime powder is not necessary and if it is, use sparingly, where needed. I like to let my foundation fry a bit before applying powder so Will usually y my foundation first and powder as the last step after everything else.
- Wearing too much foundation and the wrong colour – too much foundation is probably the main cause of the cakey effect for most. You really only need a pump of foundation and then some concealer if correction is need. A good indication of when you have too much foundation is the how hard it is to blend.
Tools and trick
- a wet beauty sponge is great
- Patting product in to the skin instead of rubbing
- Duo fibre brushes are your friend
- A makeup fixing spray is great to prevent cakey makeup